Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Day That Was

It was September 28, 2006, Thursday. I was scheduled that day to attend the pilot run of the Customer Service module at our Corporate Office. I was the representative of our branch to evaluate the topics. It’s very seldom that I absent myself from work, hence, that morning, no amount of weather could prevent me from going to the office.

That day started at 7am for me. Classes in school have been suspended the night before hence I was somewhat settled that my Kid J would wake up late. As I boarded my car, I noticed that the Caimito tree across our house was swaying wildly. What bothered me most was that the tree beside my garage was bending toward our end. I had the gut feeling that the car was in perilous situation. Amidst the plea of my kid for me to stay at home, I nevertheless hit the road. When I reached Coastal Road, it was then that I realized how dangerous this typhoon was. Even with my closed windows, I could hear the roaring wind as if threatening to throw out any moving vehicle that time. My speed was 50kph and there was no way I could go faster since I could feel a strong force behind the steering wheel. All I could think of was to pray – one Our Father, one Hail Mary, one Glory Be and one I Believe in God. I knew that it wasn’t the end of the world, but deep inside, I had to invoke the higher up because I knew that somewhere, there would be people that were going to be hurt.

As I reached the intersection at the end of the Coastal Road, I chose to take Macapagal Ave. route instead of the Baclaran area. I felt safer on a free-way than on a busy street swarmed with billboards and old edifices. True enough, later that day I found out that a billboard fell over a Honda CRV and my co-worker's car was hit by a flying roof, at the Baclaran area.

As I settled my car on our covered garage at the office, I could see across parked cars shaking. It was a furious wind out there. Instead of feeling relieved as I entered our building, I found out that there was no Globe signal inside! Only Smart is functioning. That somewhat made me panicked. It was just like isolating me from the outside world. I then remembered how this Smart people made me wait for a month for my choice of mobile unit. I also thought of my kid, my parents and most especially Honey A who I know was calling and texting me that that time. He didn’t want me to leave the house that morning due to impending trouble ahead and yet, I still went on despite of all. Luckily our landline was okay and it was where Honey A contacted me. It was also he who checked my kid J from time to time. I went through my office work as usual although the Customer Service Seminar was postponed.

By 6pm, Honey A fetched me and I left my car safe in our office’s parking space. It was total darkness on the road. All you can see were the lights coming from the moving vehicles. Though I didn’t feel terrified or something to that effect. I knew that my family was okay and we have ample supply of food and water that could last for a couple of days.

It was just few hours of Milenyo hitting the Metropolis and yet there were so much destruction and some lives taken. The following day has been usual for me sans electricity and water. I just had to live with what nature has brought. I have witnessed enough tragedies in my life, I can only surmise that these are God’s work, His way of getting our attention. People have been proud. Many have forgotten that all things are gifts from Him who has power over us. It is He who gives, it is only He who can take. There should actually be no fear, if only we learn to believe.

No comments: