Sunday, September 24, 2006

A Hopeful Artist In Me

On our way home last Thursday from Makati, Honey A and I stopped by at Shell Station in Macapagal Ave. for a gas filling up. Luckily, there was a cut-off for some meter reading as soon as we parked the car. It was the time I chanced to see Ms. Irma Adlawan and her equally talented husband, Mr. Dennis Marasigan lining up after us.
More than 12 years ago, when I was working at Cultural Center of the Philippines as Usherette, I always see Ms. Irma and her fine acting under Tangahalang Pilipino (TP). I knew Dennis way back in 1987 when I enrolled at TP's Children's Acting Workshop. He was one of our speakers specializing on Stage and Lighting Design. It was only in the early 90's that I discovered that the two are a couple.
I admire Ms. Irma for transcending beauty and age. She doesn't possess the usual showbiz glamour face yet she can outshine anybody on stage and on screen. Moreover, she's already in her early 40's (i think), but lately I read good reviews on the sexy but challenging role she had in a movie (Pusang Gala). This woman really has a talent. What I admire more is how these two artists manage their work and relationship. Dennis was once asked if he meddles with the script (or Irma's decision) in case his beloved wife gets obscene roles. And he said that, they are both artists, and role playing is Irma's job. Wow!

That night also brought me to the not so distant past when I was in the crossroad of choosing a career in stage acting and choosing a "regular" life. I knew that I had the flair for it since I already had my short stint in CCP and 2 television guestings at a very early age. "Batibot" should have been my breakthrough when I was in grade school but it was my Dad who discouraged me and drove me to concentrate on my studies. I was also contemplating to enroll in the Philippine High School for The Arts in Los Banos, Laguna, majoring in acting but it was also my Dad who didn't even give me the chance to take the entrance exam. The only thing he approved of, was for me to work as an Usherette as a part time job when I was in 3rd year college so that I could still be exposed to the Arts. My Dad was right after-all. I graduated with honors in a science school, studied in a premier state university and currently living a "regular" life. I miss acting though. I miss the lights, the scripts, the emotions, the "break a leg" thing, and most of all, the applauses. I think that I still can pull some acting and my life experiences made me a lot better than before... Sigh!

No comments: