Saturday, September 09, 2006

My Super Ex-Girlfriend


This afternoon, I had the luxury of time to watch My Super Ex-Girlfriend all by myself. I have been wanting to see it but due to its R-13 Rating, I had to wait for the perfect time when my kid would be busy to go to the mall with me.

Ofcourse it's a fantasy film belonging to the superhero genre. What fascinated me was that how the story was going to end (I tried not to read any review huh). In this age and time, women in power are slowly accepted in the society. This is best depicted in films such as this one. Even in the latest Superman film, Lois Lane transformed into the brainy reporter. It was funny how Matt Saunders (Luke Wilson) tried to dump the supergirl Jenny Johnson (Uma Thurman) and still ending in the arms of another supergirl Hannah Lewis (Anna Faris).

In the Philippine setting, male masculinity still prevails. Filipinos (based on most people I personally know) easily get turned off with powerful (or brainy) women. They still prefer "innocent" looking girls whom they can play with. And THAT, measures their manlihood!

When I was younger, there were a couple of men I have dated whom, I think, I have boosted their egos by playing dumb. I tried not to correct grammars, or a very wrong information, in my attempt to look likeable. I think I have succeeded in that part, but in the end, it was me who suffered. I didn't last any longer than a few weeks of dating and playing ignorant. I have come to realize that all I can do is be me. If I am good in Math, or eloquent in speaking, so be it. If they can't handle that, I think I deserve someone better. And that payed-off after years of searching. Nobody can fit better than my Honey A.

I may not be a Super Girlfriend, but my Super Honey A makes my life a Super Nice Place to live in:)

No comments: